Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Blacksburg, VA, Andrew Cohill and DesignNine

The 1st-mile web site I mentioned in the previous post and my phone conversation with Richard Lowenberg led me to look up DesignNine and Andrew Cohill.

Richard said that Andrew was involved with one of the past Los Alamos County fiber consulting episodes. Perhaps that was the one that involved PacketFront. Andrew certainly was involved with fiber internet in Blacksburg, Virginia.

The DesignNine web site has a Resources link where I found a number of one-page handouts as pdf files. One I'll highlight here is the Case Studies (pdf) one that compares Waterloo and Cedar Falls in Iowa. Although Cedar Falls is smaller, it managed to attract new industry at a faster rate, and DesignNine is hinting that fiber is a major part of that. On the other hand, Waterloo has lots of the John Deere one-company town aspect that it shares with the national laboratory influence on Los Alamos.

I encourage everyone to see what DesignNine and the references it provides have to say.

No comments: